Monday 30 May 2011

The last Troll ....

This will be the last post of my lovely time as a guest at the "Troll and Legends" festival, just a couple of pieces of work I showed, along with a 'couple' of photos I took in Brussels.
I will start with Brussels .... and maybe end there ... we'll see.The following pictures are just 'snaps' no real manipulation except a little slight cropping or, like here, converted to B/W.
Castle found in Brussels where it was very hot!
Brussels has some interesting architecture. All the buildings, even ordinary houses, appear different in stark contrast to 20th century architectural England, though recent modern architecture does show more interesting variety. Of course Art Nouveau does 'rule' as with this example with what appears to be an ironic "title".

The markets too had some interesting artefacts on sale, as these examples show.


Brussels is also renowned for its 'comic trail', we didn't follow it as such but did come across these parts as we wondered wilting in the heat.



Tintin in the heat ...
La Porte de Hal
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halle_Gate                              

Lastly, in the photographs of Brussels ... the wabbit, the Purple Wabbit, in my first shot a young dwarf wandered in and sat down ... but he does help us 'see' the scale!
A young Elmer dreams of his first gun
'Who needs a Bugs, when you has a Purple wabbit!' says Elmer.
Purple Wabbits Rule!

Now for a few pics I took to Mons .. I didn't have time to join a couple together so I hope you'll forgive....
From DW 6





Magus Tor of Krath





http://calific.com/yezmyr.html

The following Goblins, which some may recognise from the Calific website, are hatching plans, but that is in the future, as is this ...a draft version of a new cover for a future Calific publication [check their website for details later in the year].
''Wheze haz plans as soons as we can read der maps''.
Draft for title page for Calific future project
Think that's about it from the Troll's . I did ask last post if anyone wanted to see more of the picture 'dedications' I did ... and there was a resounding silence. Ah well, fair enough. I do try and listen so no more will be posted .... except one last Photograph.

Then a roar went up.... a roar for Troll Beer!!
Troll Beer Rules! 
[eff off wabbit]

next time no more rules [grin] just a couple of new pieces I hope. Till then.

19 comments:

  1. That crocodile-thing is one of the best monsters I've ever seen. Love the creature's head.

    Thumbs Up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta! It's called a 'Blood Monster'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning. Absolutely stunning. If you haven't noticed, I'm a fan. :-)

    I want prints. Also, I want to hear you talk about your process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ask -C and I'll try to answer. OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's that Blood Monster from? It's ringing serious bells with me. And yes, it's really an excellent picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe it's from Dragon Warriors 6: The Lands of Legend. But, as sure as daisy's will appear, if I've got it wrong someone will tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on those Dragon Warriors pieces Russ. Dig that Magus, Blood Beast and Winged Horse.
    Nice photo's too, you have an eye for the unusual and interesting my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Atom for your opinion and praise, and the same to those others who regularly post comments ..it is so appreciated. It's what helps when the days are dark, and when awful pictures of me [taken without my permission]are posted on the web. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The panorama with the birds (?) is, like everything i've seen of yours, amazing. It looks familiar, have i seen it before? Is it from something? Can i see more?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Brink, much appreciated. The panorama is from the website of the 'World of Yezmyr' which is soon to be the setting of a new game from Calific. Do check out the site [http://calific.com/yezmyr.html] for news and more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I'd been to that site, but lost it amid the jumble of bookmarks on my computer. I signed up for the mailing list, so i hopefully won't lose it again...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for those amazing designs ! I have to say that they are more impressive for real and I feel lucky to have been at this Trol ferstival !
    Yes, the blood monster is enormously great but personnaly I wonder if I don't prefer the flying horse for the diversity of the textures... and I really appreciate the dark men in the grass : where are they from ?
    I usually don't like color but I have to say that the draft for calific title page is excellent : those chaotic tentacules-trees(?) are so great !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of your best here, Russ. The picture of the wights on the grassy slope (from Blood Sword) is one of my all-time favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Magnificent Russ - some really golden Legend artwork there!

    BTW. The blood monster is a "Blood Fiend" from the fourth Golden Dragon book "The Eye of the Dragon".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello!
    I attended the Trolls & Legends festivals and I was looking forward to seeing the other drawings you made... So here is my little voice trying to cut through the resounding silence :-)... Maybe I am a little late, but who knows?
    Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Silence? Sorry, I do hope I wasn't silent [:)]. Lovely to hear from you and your message brings back happy memories of a good festival.

    Hope you enjoyed seeing the other work ... my portfolio [though small] was open for anyone to look at though not everybody got the opportunity for a variety of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello!!!
    Sorry, my comment was not clear enough... I meant that I would have very much liked to see the pictures you took of the drawings you made for each fan who came to meet you at the festival. And my comment about the resounding silence referred to your own comment in the post "Think that's about it from the Troll's . I did ask last post if anyone wanted to see more of the picture 'dedications' I did ... and there was a resounding silence.". That's why I tried to cut through this resounding silence ;-). So if you ever find some time to put these pictures on your blog, there are at least two peoples ( my boyfriend and me) who will be very pleased!!!
    And yes I enjoyed very much meeting you and seeing your portfolio. And my boyfriend was happier than me since he has been a fan of yours since his childhood. You were so friendly and approachable, meeting you made our day at the festival :-). Thinking of this makes me smile :-D. Thanks for everything :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Alyandra, and sorry, I misunderstood ... I will take your point and post at a later date some more of those picture 'dedications' ... 2 votes goes a long way [grin] and lovely to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many many thanks :-D, that's so kind of you! I'm so happy :-). My boyfriend and I are eager to read this post! You've made our day once more :-D. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.